Children love to help in the kitchen. They can measure, stir, roll out dough, cut shapes, and decorate.
Heart Shaped Sugar Cookies
You will need:
1 cup sugar
1cup butter, softened
1 pkg (3 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg yolk
2 cups all-purpose flour
Pink or red colored sugar and white, pink, or red decorator icing
Heart shaped cookie cutter or paring knife to cut heart shapes by hand
- In large bowl, combine all ingredients except flour, icing, and colored sugar; beat until light and fluffy.
- Add flour; mix well. Shape dough into 3 disks. Wrap dough in plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour for easier handling.
- Heat oven to 375°F. On floured surface, roll out 1 disk of dough at a time to 1/4-inch thickness. (Keep remaining dough refrigerated.) Cut with lightly floured 2 1/2-inch heart shape cookie cutters or cut shapes by hand with paring knife. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 375°F. for 6 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheets.
- Allow to cool.
- Spread cookie with icing and sprinkle with colored sugar.
Makes 3-4 dozen cookies.
*Make cookies after reading The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
*Learn nocturnal animal song
*Make nocturnal animal puppets
See Kissing Hand craft